FamilyCord Safety and Security
The FamilyCord secure storage facility is specially designed to ensure maximum protection for your cord blood stem cells from earthquake, fire, flood, and loss of power.
Our state-of-the-art facility also features security and identification technology to protect our clients' privacy.
- An emergency generator provides fully independent back-up power in case of any power failure. This ensures that our facility remains active and protected - even in case of a city-wide blackout.
- 6,000 gallon liquid nitrogen tank provides a constant supply of freezing agent to specimens. If our nitrogen supply is interrupted, our system can maintain safe levels of nitrogen for several weeks without refilling.
- All exterior doors are secured and protected 24 hours a day by custom fit magnetic locks. No one can access the building without a coded pass card.
- Interior zones (including the cryogenic storage area) are protected by additional magnetic doors also requiring a coded pass card for entry.
- All public access is monitored by mounted cameras fed directly to the reception desks. No one is admitted without visual confirmation by a receptionist.
- Cameras provide 100% coverage of our parking lot. A digital video recorder stores over six months of motion-sensor activated recordings.
- The building is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Our building is monitored by security systems via door, window, and interior motion sensors.
- Once the alarm is tripped, the police are automatically notified. Response times are under 5 minutes.
Fire Safety and Suppression
- The system is the same one used by hospitals, department stores and high-rise buildings.
- 31 individual smoke detectors monitor the building's duct system, automatically shutting down all dampers in the event of smoke or a fire.
- Remote access via the Internet allows off-site monitoring of all systems and alarms.
Traditional Sprinkler System
- Heat-sensitive sprinkler heads every 10 feet.
- Activated by smoke or heat, the system pumps enough water to extinguish a fire covering an entire city block.
Dry Chemical Suppression System
- Installed by Fire Protection Services to monitor and protect the digital records/server room.
- State-of-the-art technology uses a dry chemical fire suppressant to protect all digitally stored information and materials without any water dispersal.
- Operates both independently and in unison with the sprinkler system. Sprinkler system still acts as a back-up in case of catastrophic or life-threatening damage control.
Reinforced Structural Integrity
- The entire building has been seismically retrofitted and reinforced in accordance with updated safety requirements approaching "Essential" building qualifications (hospitals, fire departments, and police stations).
- This is 50% greater than is required but the current Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety codes.